4X4기술정보

랜드로버 기술정보

Freelander Snorkel Installatio

페이지 정보

작성자 육혁 작성일05-01-22 01:23 조회3,680회 댓글0건

본문

Texas rover: 특별한걸 원하는 사람들한태!

Freelander Snorkel Installation

This project is the result of a LOT of research, a LOT of waiting and unfortunately a LOT of money. I began my inquiry into the existence of a snorkel for the Freelander after I saw a picture of a Freelander sporting a raised air intake (snorkel) that was taken somewhere in the Western United States. The Camel Trophy Freelanders had these intakes, as will the G4 Freelanders when they make their appearance later this spring.

Why a snorkel? I certainly won"t ever suggest you run your heavily computerized Freelander through water up to the windshield. A snorkel (raised air intake, interchangeably) is a huge benefit in dusty environments- the air filter won"t get clogged up nearly as quickly. If you do end up crossing water that gets deeper than anticipated, the snorkel just may save your engine. Unfortunately, the computers and sensors will likely suffer a slow death from corrosion.

The company that makes the intake for the Camel Trophy and G4 Freelanders will be making them available eventually, but during my search I found something more interesting. I came across a web page for a company in Spain that makes snorkels for various vehicles. The difference is that these snorkels look incredible! They are streamlined fiberglass and follow the lines of the Freelander beautifully. Compared to the "stove-pipe" looking one on the Camel Trophy and G4 Freelanders, this one rocked! I had Google translate the page and I contacted the company- the rest is history.

사진1 placed the snorkel against the side of the Freelander and traced the inside of the snorkel mount on the fender with a sharpie. The instructions mention a 75MM hole, but I decided to use the tracing method instead.
An important small detail is to

사진4 Now we have the fender completely removed as well as the original air tube. The round opening is where the front of the air tube was connected. The hole itself goes into an air-tight chamber which connects to the intake tube inside the engine compar